- Specialty Center online applications will be available November 21st
- Applicant Process Student/Parent – http://blogs.henrico.k12.va.us/integrateddatasystems/specialty-center-online-application/student_parent/
- Online Portal opens on 11/21.
- Parents must complete the Authorization and Waiver Form before a student will have access to the online portal. This can be done through the Power School Parent Portal. See Specialty Center (star icon) menu on the left.
- The PowerSchool Parent Portal Specialty Center Link is scheduled to open on Monday, November 21st. This is where the parent can login and complete the online permission and waiver form for their 8th grade student.
- Students cannot access the system until a Permission/Waiver Form is on file. Once the permission form is submitted online, it will be 24 hours before they can access the Spec App Site.
- If a parent can not access the online system, the counselor can provide a manual form to the parent (See Blog). Upon completion, the counselor would login to PowerSchool and update the flag for that student. Once the permission form and waiver flag is set in PS, it will be 24 hours before the student can access the system.
CodeRVA High School will be providing four informational sessions on two dates. Attendance at these events is not required for applicants. Registration is not required.
November 29, 2016
Highland Springs High School Library
15 S Oak Ave, Highland Springs, VA 23075
Session I: 5:30-6:30
Session II: 6:45-7:45
December 1, 2016
Thomas Dale High School (Main Campus) Library
3626 W Hundred Rd, Chester, VA 23831
Session I: 5:30-6:30
Session II: 6:45-7:45
Additional information about CodeRVA and FAQ may be accessed on the coderva.org website.
We continue to collect Box Tops for the General Mills Box Tops for Education program. Our school library earns $.10 for each Box Top we turn in. We have been able to purchase iPads, tripod adaptors, art supplies for projects, and other educational items for our students to use in the library with this money. This year, we are working towards creating a “curiosity cubby” in the library with activities to “Spark the Curiosity” of our students. We would like to add things such as Makey Makeys, green screen and stop motion animation materials, Bloxels, Gizmos and Gadgets kits, and more. Help us build this by sending in those Box Tops.
It’s that time of year again already! Time to start thinking about holiday shopping. What better place to get some of that shopping done than Barnes and Noble. They have just about everything on everyone’s special list. Thursday, December 1 from 5:00-8:00 PM is our school’s book fair. They are not picky about that time frame, they even honor the codes for several days following the book fair and online for a week. With our school’s special code, all of your purchases will help our school library purchase new books. Last year we earned $523 and used it to purchase almost 50 new books for our school library. Codes will be coming home soon. Thank you in advance for your support.
It’s the beginning of the sick season…allergies, colds, flu, stomach viruses are active in our area right now. Please keep in mind that students should not be in school if they have the following:
- A fever of 100.4 degrees or greater in the last 24 hours (before taking a fever reducing
- Vomiting or has diarrhea because of illness in the last 24 hours.
- An unknown rash or possible contagious condition.
- Are unable to focus due to: pain, chronic health condition, and acute illness.
- Has flu-like illness (with or without fever) — headache, tired, cough, aches, weakness, sore throat.
Please be prompt when picking up your ill or injured child in order to minimize their chance of spreading or acquiring a contagious illness.
A child should be free of symptoms of contagious disease (fever, vomiting, diarrhea, suspicious rash, etc.) for 24 hours before returning to school. Please contact our school nurse, Genevieve Bragg, RN, if you have any questions or concerns at 804-360-0800 ext. 3.
• Click here for more info. on the Applicant Process
New this year your students can apply to IB at Henrico HS and/or Tucker HS, and it will not be considered ‘no preference.’ …The verbiage on the online application still reads that by selecting both IB schools they are indicating ‘no preference’ and that we will select the IB site for them if they qualify, this is no longer the process.
If a student applies to both IB schools, they will be evaluated individually by each school and will find two separate status notifications when they login to the online application on March 10th. Should they get into both IB schools, they will be able to decide which school they accept just as they do for each of the other centers. If they are selected at one and waitlisted at the other, they can accept the one and remain on the waitlist for the other if IB is their priority regardless of the site.
The Short Pump Middle School PRIDE Committee is working to recognize our students for demonstrating PRIDE (Positivity, Respect, Integrity, Discipline, Excellence). We are working to develop celebrations for our students who are recognized for PRIDE and we would love to incorporate games in our events. If you have any age-appropriate board or card games that you would be willing to donate to the cause please drop them off in the main office in the designated box! Thank you for your support! If you have any questions, please contact Heather Sharpe at 804-364-0837.
Although moving to a new area and school can be an exciting adventure, it can also be a challenging and overwhelming experience and we would like to provide our families with some neighborhood support. The School Counseling team would like to create a pool of people who are willing to help welcome new Puma families to SPMS and to our community. If you are interested in volunteering in this capacity, please complete this form: www.tinyurl.com/pumawelcome . We may use the information collected from the form to help match families in similar neighborhoods or with similar backgrounds. By completing the form, you are agreeing to allow the School Counseling team to share your personal contact information with newly enrolled families. Thank you for your willingness to support our new Puma families!
HCPS-TV visited Sarah Berry’s Chorus class as they warmed up with a few vocal games. Click here to watch the video.